Tuesday 11 April 2017

From Law to Engineering – Impact of engagement


Saturday mornings are usually for lay-ins but on this day, it’s 7.30am and I’m headed to Birmingham with a group of young people from my BME community in Basildon. Three trains later we made it to London Euston to board a virgin train to the Birmingham NEC for the Big Bang Fair.






For many of the young people with me that day, neither they nor their parents had come across the Big Bang Fair and this is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) for young people in the UK which has been running since 2009. I see myself in a lot of these kids because once upon a time, I too was alien to many of these enriching events and experiences. I’ll save the reasons for another post but what I really want to share is some of the feedback from the young people on the day  and messages from a couple of the parents which highlights the importance of outreach and public engagement with science. 
 







  
  

The journey from Basildon to Birmingham on a Saturday in itself was a chore but the experience for the kids and feedback received from both the young people and their parents reminds me of the essence of engaging young people with STEM and particularly my role in promoting STEM to the BME community. 


Impressions from the day (NB: You may need to magnify images to read text)







I'm looking for a bursary/sponsorship to accommodate more kids next year so if you wish to sponsor us then please get in touch with me: hephziangela@gmail.com

Thanks

1 comment:

Nemaram Punavat said...

Stem academy

STEM Education for kids explore programmes and resources that support overall development for your child. Resources Professional Development Bursaries STEM Education for Parents Discover projects, activities and challenges to engage young people of all ages with world and wonder of STEM subjects and careers. STEM Clubs.


to get more - https://stemtoysshop.com/pages/stem-school